EYE OF HORUS - The independent DOCTOR WHO resource - link to front page
Link to EYE OF HORUS HOME Link to DOCTOR WHO NEW SERIES 7 Link to DOCTOR WHO CLASSIC SERIES Link to DOCTOR WHO NEWS Link to EXCLUSIVE COMPETITIONS + EDITORIAL FEATURES Link to REVIEWS - DVD + AUDIO + PRINT Link to AMAZON.CO.UK - DOCTOR WHO official store Link to SEARCH within eyeofhorus.org.uk
DOCTOR WHO SERIES THREE
SERIES THREE HOME - ABOUT THE SHOW
EPISODE GUIDE
TV TRAILERS or BBCi PREVIEW
SAXON WATCH
NEW CAST BIOGRAPHIES
MARCH-JULY 2007
(aka DOCTOR WHO SEASON 29)
EPISODE GUIDE
SERIES 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 2009/10 SPECIALS
SERIES 5 | 6 | 7 | 2013 SPECIALS

DOCTOR WHO - Episode 8 - HUMAN NATURE  - David Tennant and Freema Agyeman
08 - HUMAN NATURE [Screengrabs]

"...Funny how dreams slip away but
I remember one thing, it all took place in the future.
In the year of Our Lord 2007..."

PLOTLINE

It's 1913 in England, and an ordinary schoolteacher called John Smith dreams of adventures in time and space and a mysterious blue box. But, when lights in the sky herald the arrival of something strange and terrible, Smith's maid, Martha

And for her it's the last straw.

EPISODE REVIEW

With five SERIES 3 episode remaining, I'm doing so well at the moment. It has been difficult. A chore and a bit of a palaver.

Avoiding pre-episode trailers, fan-websites & forums, and even the official DOCTOR WHO website to ensure that I knew nothing or least very little about an episode. Why? Last year, I became disenchanted with the watching a new episode that I had seemingly knew back-to-front even before it had been completely broadcast such was the blanket coverage of trailers & spoilers.

With HUMAN NATURE everything was (virtually) new, fresh and absorbing - even the original novel had escaped me. And thank heavens it did.

In years to come, Paul Cornell's episode will be an iconic piece of storytelling amongst DOCTOR WHO fans as it writes a new chapter for the protagonist's character - or lack of it - which they attempt to rationalise what has happened him (and how the events that affect "John Smith" actually relate to the "the Doctor". If he has a sibling, will that offspring be a human or an Earth-Gallifrey-hybrid?). A Time Lord exorcised and living a self-imposed lie living as a human amongst other humans. For decades, viewers are witnessed the Doctor avoiding this cleansing and now we see him embracing the event in order to thwart (literally throwing them of his scent) the Family (of Blood). An interesting twist on the "doppelganger" format.

The script (and themes) is more (Jane) Austen or (Anthony) Trollope than DOCTOR WHO, and that made the production more rewarding than the usual offering. Characters are stereotypically rounded. Not a criticism but praise. There have been too many NEW SERIES episodes where characters are poorly written and lack conviction within the storyline but not within HUMAN NATURE . Viewers know who they are, what they do, and what will happen to them. Arrogant, stiff upper-lipped schoolboys will fall victim to the "baddies", the quiet & subjugated "fag" will be avenged, and those close to the Doctor/John Smith will be threatened and rescued.

However, HUMAN NATURE is Tennant's straight acting vehicle for the future, demonstrating a versatility that - within DOCTOR WHO history - only Patrick Troughton could exceed. From alien hero to awkward chaste schoolmaster to tender lover all within the space of 45 minutes, and we believe him. Memorisingly so. Our generation's John Gielgud? Unfortunately, the BBC is going to have a mission impossible when it comes to casting the Eleventh Doctor. Both his scenes with Maid Martha and Matron Joan are subtly charming and pitch perfect.

On the surface the episode is Doctor-heavy and Martha-lite however she is central to protecting the deceit, and Freema Agyeman, once again, assumes the role with confidence reassuring the viewer that all is not lost. Briefly, the story bravely touches upon the notions of racist and class (Time Lord and human relationship), with Martha at the forefront.

INT: Housemaids, Martha and Jenny are scrubbing the floor.

Hutchinson: Tell me then, Jones, with hands like those how you can tell when something's clean?

Hutchinson and Baines walk away laughing.

Martha: That's very funny, Sir.
Jenny: Don't answer back.

And later, Martha ponders - in a sideways fashion - the issue of class as she seems to have been abandoned, unwanted by the man she knew as the Doctor.

INT: TARDIS interior.

Martha (about the Doctor/Smith): You had to. Didn't you. Had to fall in love with a human. And it wasn't me.

At this point, after two-and-half series, I am beginning to dislike this persona of our Time Lord for he is forever "teasing" his companions (Rose and Martha, and to a lesser extent Sarah Jane Smith) into the belief that there will be more to their relationship other than just time/space travel. He either doesn't care about his traveling companions emotional needs or he takes a perverse pleasure in laying a trail of biscuit crumbs for them to follow only for them to find an empty wrapper at the trail's end. He's one mixed up alien; once reverted back to Time Lord will the Doctor recall any of his time as the human that tasted love & affection?

INT: Church Hall Annual Dance

Baines (to Doctor/Smith): Have you enjoyed it, Doctor? Being human? Has it taught you wonderful things? Are you better, richer, wiser? Then let's see you answer this. Maid or matron. You friend or your lover? Your choice!

Alongside the intelligent and period perfect dialogue, the production standard (direction, design/lighting, costume and music) is stunningly inspired and "timeless" that demonstrates that this NEW SERIES of DOCTOR WHO can meticulously generate environments both in the past and in the future whilst the CLASSIC SERIES managed to be adroit at the former and failed on the latter. Even the invisible spacecraft (homage to SHADA?) was visionary, in a fashion. However, perhaps, John Smith's study-room was poorly "grained" (the wooden paneled walls looked as they were used in an "am-dram" production of THE MOUSETRAP - the brush-strokes were too broad and brash) but that is a minor point - which proves how precise the episode (and I assume the next) was crafted.

Of course, one of most intriguing aspects within HUMAN NATURE was the use of the Chameleon Arch (and the "depository" fob watch) to wipe Time Lord biology, storing it within the timepiece for later retrieval. Glimpses of the past and the present are revealed as Timothy Latimer (who is he really?) opens the watch that could add nothing or something to SERIES 3. Distant voices, warning of death & doom:

Female Voice: Darkness is coming.
Doctor: Keep me a way from the false and empty man.
Male Voice: Last of the Time Lords. Last of their wise & ancient race.
Female Voice: The faces of men.

I am sure Derek Jacobi was heard as the "male Voice". Or perhaps I was just hoping.

However, HUMAN NATURE is merely a set-up for the conclusion next week and what a superfluous and rarely disappointing set-up that will be, like THE EMPTY CHILD and THE DOCTOR DANCES for decades to come.

A singular episode that is, seemingly, peerless.

Until THE FAMILY OF BLOOD?

EXTRA

DOCTOR WHO FOLKLORE - John Smith's A JOURNAL OF IMPOSSIBLE THINGS is a collection of 'dream' illustrations and notes. It features interior and exterior sketches of the TARDIS, Sonic Screwdriver, Cybermen, the Moxx of Balhoon, Clockwork droids, (lone) Dalek, The Cult of Skaro, Rose Tyler, the Gas-mask zombies, Slitheen Family member and the question, "Who?". There is a complex sketch of the Doctor's incarnations (First, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth).

DOCTOR WHO FOLKLORE - When the schoolboy, Timothy Latimer, opens the Doctor's watch (a reticule of the Time Lord's life and biochemistry distilled through using the Chameleon Arch device) he sees "as the Doctor". The visions include (lone) Dalek, The Cult of Skaro, Ood, Sycorax, Werewolf, Racnoss and Lazarus. He also sees the Doctor using his sonic screwdriver and meeting Martha Jones.

DOCTOR WHO FOLKLORE - Like the Doctor (In particular, in the Peter Davison Fifth incarnation story, FOUR TO DOOMSDAY), John Smith uses a cricket ball deftly to save the day.

DOCTOR WHO FOLKLORE - In the opening scene of the episode, the schoolboys are heard singing an English Hymn, HE WHO COULD VALIANT BE (written by John Bunyan in 1684) and could be a link to future episode:

He who would valiant be 'gainst all disaster,
Let him in constancy follow the Master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent to be a pilgrim.

Who so beset him round with dismal stories
Do but themselves confound-his strength the more is.
No foes shall stay his might; though he with giants fight,
He will make good his right to be a pilgrim.

Since, Lord, Thou dost defend us with Thy Spirit,
We know we at the end, shall life inherit.
Then fancies flee away! I'll fear not what men say,
I'll labor night and day to be a pilgrim.

EPSIODE CONTINUITY - In an appreciative homage to the programme's creator (BBC Executive, Sydney Newman) and its first Producer (Verity Lambert), John Smith names his parents as Sydney (a Watchmaker) and Verity (a Nurse). Nice.

ENLARGE IMAGE

ENLARGE IMAGE

ENLARGE IMAGE

ENLARGE IMAGE

ENLARGE IMAGE

ENLARGE IMAGE

ENLARGE IMAGE

ENLARGE IMAGE

ENLARGE IMAGE

ENLARGE IMAGE

ENLARGE IMAGE

ENLARGE IMAGE

ENLARGE IMAGE

ENLARGE IMAGE

Main photograph © BBC
Review - Matthew Walter
EOH RATING

EOH RATING - 9/10

DOCTOR WHO - SERIES 3 - HUMAN NATURE - PAUL CORNELL
CAST
THE DOCTOR
David Tennant
MARTHA JONES
Freema Agyeman
NURSE JOAN REDFERN
jessica Stevenson
JEREMY BAINES
Harry Lloyd
TIM LATIMER
Thomas Sangster
HUTCHINSON
Tom Palmer
ROCASTLE
  Pip Torrens
JENNY
  Rebekah Staten
MR. CLARK
  Gerard Horan
LUCY CARTWRIGHT
  Lauren Wilson
PHILLIPS
  Matthew White
DOORMAN
  Derek Smith
MR CHAMBERS
  Peter Bourke

MAIN PRODUCTION CREDITS

With thanks to the BBC National Orchestra of Wales

ORIGINAL THEME MUSIC
  Ron Grainer
CASTING DIRECTOR
  Andy Pryor CDG
PRODUCTION ACCOUNTANT
  Endaf Emry Williams
SOUND RECORDIST
  Simon Fraser
COSTUME DESIGNER
  Louise Page
MAKE-UP DESIGNER
  Sheelagh Wells
MUSIC
  Murray Gold
VISUAL EFFECTS
  THE MILL
VISUAL FX PRODUCER
  Will Cohen
VISUAL FX SUPERVISOR
  Dave Houghton
SPECIAL EFFECTS
  ANY EFFECTS
PROSTHETICS
  Neill Gorton and Millennium Effects
EDITOR
  Llana del Giudice
PRODUCTION DESIGNER
  Edward Thomas
DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY
  Ernie Vincze BSC
PRODUCTION MANAGER
  Tracie Simpson
ASSOCIATE PRODUCER
  Helen Vallis

PRODUCER
  Susie Liggat
EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS
  Julie Gardner
Russell T Davies
DIRECTOR
  Charles Palmer
  Produced by
BBC WALES
WRITER
  Paul Cornell

INFORMATION
BROADCAST DATE
26 May 2007

REPEATED DATE
  27 May 2007

FIRST RUN UK RATINGS (millions)
7.74 million (36.3% Audience share)

DVD RELEASE
June 2007
PREVIOUS EPISODE NEXT EPISODE - Coming soon to BBC1

Online visitor hits since 13 April 2003

© www.eyeofhorus.org.uk 2015
(Extra © information visit here)

"DOCTOR WHO commentary since 1983"

Email us EDITORIAL EMAIL - We do not reply to emails

Follow us on TWITTER - eyeofhorus.org.uk on Twitter

Contact us - EDITORIAL EMAIL
Link back to HOME - EYE OF HORUS Link to DOCTOR WHO NEW SERIES 2 Link to CLASSIC SERIES 1963-96 Link to CURRENT NEWS Link to BIG FINISH AUDIO Link to EYE OF HORUS - EDITORIAL + GIVEAWAYS Link to DOCTOR WHO MERCHANDISE EMAIL - EOH cannot reply to all emails due to time restrictions